There is no recipe
and what it is.
The basic problem in writing mathematics is the same as in writing
biology, writing a novel, or writing directions for assembling a
harpsichord: the problem is to communicate an idea.
To do so, and to do it clearly, you must
That's all there is to it.
- have something to say,
- have someone to say it to,
- organize what you want to say,
- arrange it in the order you it said in,
- write it, rewrite it, and re-rewrite it several times,
- be willing to think hard about and
- work hard on mechanical details such as diction, notation, and
See here for the full text by P.R. Halmos
as scanned off the Web.