Research Question: What are the determinants of a firm's political access?
Using the updated numbering of the survey questions and determinations of applicable variables, the following is a restatement of the variables in response to the research question
December 29. 2005.
Dependent Variables: NUMERICAL DATA
1) Size of Network, Senate (Q8)
2) Size of Network, House (Q17)
3) Private meetings, Senate (Q11c)
4) Private meetings, House (Q20c)
Independent (Predictor) Variables: VARIOUS DATA
Controls: NUMERICAL/ORDERED CATEGORICAL DATA
1. Firm sales - Use 2002 Sales (see rationale; variable name REV02)
2. Industry - Use "DobelSIC" categories per FPA Submission.
3. Political Salience - CATEGORICAL [levels]
4. Management commitment - CATEGORICAL
Q61 % time our top managers dedicate to public policy annually? [1 Little - Lots 6]
NUMERICAL/ORDERED CATEGORICAL DATA
1. providing PAC contributions. Use total 2002 contributions,
AllGive02= FedTTLbux02 + SFTTTL02 + bux_TTL02.
2. Largess Variable (could also be RESPONSE)
Largess02 = 100*AllGive02/(Income02*1,000,000)
3. hiring individuals with political experience…we have a yes/no question with top management and the BOD
Q67 # senior managers worked for any level of US government
Q69 # Board memebers worked for any level of US government
4. attend fundraisers (Q78) - CATEGORICAL.
Q78 How often does your company attend political fundraisers? [1 Never - Daily 6]
Information: NUMERICAL/BINARY DATA
1. We have number of external lobbying firms
Q72 How many outside lobbyists do you hire on retainer?
Q73 How many outside lobbyists for special projects?
2. We have CEO testifying (Since 2003) [1 YES / NO 2]
Q62 CEO testified at a congressional hearing
Q63 CEO testified at a regulatory hearing
Q64 CEO argued within your industry's trade association about a public policy matter
3. We have firm's participation on advisory boards (Since 2003) [1 YES / NO 2]
Q34 Company served on an advisory committee of a regulatory agency
Q74 Company been invited to join any of the business advisory groups to the federal
government, such as the Advisory Committee on Trade Policy Negotiations or the
FTC Advisory Committee on Online Access and Security
4. Could we get internal lobbying data? [We do not have at present]?
1. we have political education programs (Q80) [1 Never - Daily 6]
Q81 How often does your company conduct political education programs?
2. we have advocacy advertising (Q82) [1 Never - Daily 6]
Q82 How often does your company use public relations advertising in the media for
political issues affecting your company?
3. we have press conferences (Q83) [1 Never - Daily 6]
Q83 How often does your company hold press conferences on public policy issues?
4. we have mobilizing grassroots (Q84) [1 Never - Daily 6]
Q84 How often does your company use grassroots political programs?
5. we have mobilizing ad hoc coalitions… measure somewhat differently (Coordination Activities): "About how many times has your company coordinated government relations activities with:"
Q39 Coordinate with other firms in industry [1 Never - Lots 5]
Q44 Coordinate with other firms outside of industry [1 Never - Lots 5]
Q52 Coordinate with labor groups [1 Zero - Lots 5]
Q57 Coordinate with non-business interest groups [1 Zero - Lots 5]